Monday, September 11, 2017

Restoring a Stanley No 71 Router Plane


Another plane that game into my possession since my sister has been on the lookout for "old looking tools" I think it was ~$15 which isn't too bad. Lots of surface rust but otherwise in pretty great shape.


Disassembled and ready for a white Vinegar bath, I had begun removing the paint from the handles in the background there getting them ready for a new coat of stain.


After some time with a toothbrush, and soft wire wheel on my dremel everything was cleaning up nicely! Ran the bottom of the plane on some 240 grit to remove some inconsistencies and surface rust, only took a few strokes to do that.


Went with a brass spray paint for most of the components and I actually liked the raw steel look so I just put a clear coat on to protect it a bit from surface rust in the future. Originally these came with a zinc/galvanized finish, but most of the cold galvanization products are pretty terrible.

Blades were missing when I got the plane so I picked up a 1/8" and 1/4" from Lee Valley and they fit perfectly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment