Monday, September 12, 2016

Simple DIY Mid Century Modern Walnut Wall Clock

Finished Product up front!



So this was a quick afternoon project so I didn't end up taking many photos, I had wanted a large piece for the dining room for a while now and saw some MCM clocks that might fit the bill but nothing large enough that it'd look good just by itself on the large wall. I had also seen large clocks around at furniture stores and the like but everything was obnoxiously expensive and most of them weren't actually clocks just looked like one with non-moving hands. So after a quick google I found large clock hands on KlocKit.com and picked some up along with a high torque movement which is also linked on that page, I ran with the long shaft  but probably could have gotten away with the short shaft and recessed it a bit.

The center piece is about 9" in diameter I cut that with a circle jig on my router and put a chamfer on both sides. Size was basically decided on based on a piece of wide scrap I had and what size circle I could realistically cut on it. The size of the number indicators was just the difference in length of the two clock hands, I believe the width of them is just over an inch or so... again was just looking at boards I had on hand and tried to minimize the waste.


I put chamfers on those as well, I really need to get a router table... this probably wasn't the safest way to put the chamfer on...


After everything was cut to size and sanded I applied some danish oil and let it dry 


after the surface was a bit rough so I applied some creamed beeswax with 0000 steel wool, which I think darkened the center piece too much, will have to use a scraper next time to get it smoothed out. After that just followed the directions on how to mount the movement in the dial.

To line things up I mounted the center piece on the wall and printed out a sheet of paper with the correct angles on it I made it in AutoCAD but it could have easily been done by hand with a protractor everything is just 30 degree angles


I slid this on the center of the clock face then used a piece of string with a mark with the correct distance of the outside of the circle to know where to place the pieces. To attach them to the wall I just used velcro command strips this seemed to be the simplest solution to be able to eventually remove it while not putting 24 holes in the wall.

After that it was just attaching the hands like it showed in the instructions... pretty simple

1 comment:

  1. Well written articles like yours renews my faith in today's writers. You've written information I can finally agree on and use. CBD Display Box

    ReplyDelete