Thursday, February 8, 2018

Figured Cherry Aggravation Game Board

Finished Product

First step was to make a layout for all the 127 holes for the marbles

Here is a blank pattern if you'd like it

I didn't take pictures of the glue up but it was just gluing 2 sets of 2 ~5.5" wide boards together and then using painters tape to make sure the middle joint where the hinge will be wasn't shifting around. I then masked off the entire board and used spray adhesive to apply the template. On my router there is a 2.5" offset from the flat edge to the center so I just placed a guide and did one strip of holes at a time, eyeballing the the horizontal position, since I was using a 7/8" diameter "core box" bit I'd just touch the surface and see if I needed to adjust my alignment. 

after everything was routed on top testing and getting a glamour shot

For the interior, I just used an edge guide and routed 4 slots ~1/2" deep with the same bit as the top to make marble storage

Testing out the fit 


Next I needed to make a recess for the hinges started with sharp chisels to get close

and then cleaned up with a router plane

The router left a messy edge on the marble storage between the two slots

 just cleaned that up with the router plane

Much better.

Didn't get a photo of this process but it's just routing out a hole for the dice using a straight edge then cleaning it up with a router plane.

 For the finish I didn't want this to be too pink, so I did a few applications of a baking soda/water mix to artificially age the cherry into a darker more brown appearance.

Got some paintbrushes and went to town on painting the key holes that you use during the game, took a little while to get these cleanly painted, any over painting I just cleaned up with some light sanding after it fully dried

Applying finish in my super high tech finishing studio (my bathroom) did 2 or 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal gloss followed by a coat of satin

Finished product again

Closing the finished product



1 comment: